Monday, July 11, 2011

Hot Springs: British Style

On July 9th, after rising and shining following our hellacious evening, the gals and I took the bus into town for breakfast and sightseeing.  I was really excited about Bath, because I'm such a Jane Austen fan.  Jane (we're on a first name basis) lived in Bath from 1800 to 1805 and set two of her novels there - Northanger Abbey (my favorite) and Persuasion (another favorite).

After missing the first bus stop at the city centre, we got off on the second at the train station and walked back.  This was lucky, as it caused us to pass Sally Lunn's, which I remember from one of my guidebooks.



I really enjoyed my Sally Lunn Bun, which had gammon ham, mature cheddar cheese, and mayonnaise on half of a Sally Lunn Bun.  Yum, yum!  If you're ever in Bath, I highly recommend it!

After breakfast, we walked to the Tourism Office to buy our museum tickets.  All together, admission to the Roman Baths, the Fashion Museum, Assembly Rooms, Pump Rooms, and Jane Austen Centre cost less than £20.  A real bargain that will keep you busy all day!

After that, we walked literally 20 yards to Bath Abbey.  It was huge and gorgeous.  I'm such a church freak, though.  I love these old cathedrals, basilicas, and abbeys!






Apparently I'm not the only one who loves churches - the place was JAM PACKED!  After we escaped the throngs of people, we went to stand in line for the Roman Baths, somewhat unnecessarily.  Word to the wise - if you buy your tickets ahead of time at the Tourism Office, you can jump in front of the line!

The Roman Baths were neat but also crowded.  I got bored with listening to the audio tour long before the tour was over.




After the tour of the baths were over, we stopped in to the Pump Room for some of that curative spring water.  I'd heard how terrible it tasted, so I was really nervous.  Honestly, it just tasted like hot well water, and as someone who spent a fair portion of her childhood drinking well water at her grandparents', it tasted fine to me.


After the Pump Room, we headed to the Fashion Museum and Assembly Rooms.  Unfortunately for me, the Assembly Rooms were closed for a wedding (we even got to see the bride and tell her best wishes!), but the Fashion Museum was open.  It was really awesome, especially the wedding dress special exhibit!  On the way there, I saw my first British phonebox!




The oldest dress in the collection - from the 1600s!

A 1760s court dress

You know we look good. 


Shoes!

Hey, J Lo!

Once we wrapped up our tour of the Fashion Museum, it was time for the lady herself, Jane Austen!


Honestly, the Jane Austen Centre was a little bit of a let down.  The exhibits were so-so and the mini biography they gave us was nothing I didn't know before.  At least I did learn Jane's real address: 25 Gay Street.  It's now a dentist's, which probably comes in handy for all those toothaches people get from the delicious cake they serve in the third floor tea room at the JA Centre!

Raspberry drizzle!

Come out and play, Jane!

After the Jane Austen Centre, we were all a little tired and ready to relax a little.  I wanted to see the Royal Crescent, so we headed over to the park for a spell.  It was nice to feel the sun and watch the Asian tourists strike funny poses.  My favorite was the man who stuck his arms straight out in the air and did a little hop.  Nothing else, just a hop.



When the sun went behind the clouds and we got chilled, it was time for dinner at Gascoyne House.  The food was savory and filling - I had mushroom risotto balls.  A perfect way to say goodbye to Bath before we left for Oxford the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment